Sunday, September 17, 2017

Photos from Portillo

While planning our summer trip, my husband surprised me when he suggested we go skiing after our time in Colombia. Skiing? It had been nearly 20 years since I'd been on skis. Yet, I didn't let that stop me from saying YES.

We went to Portillo, up in the Andes Mountains of Chile. WAY up in the mountains. Serene and beautiful. It was a stark beauty that surrounded us there above the tree line. If we should go back, I've got to get beyond beginner hills so I can take my camera with me on the slopes. The views from the top of the beginner hill was terrific, I can only imagine the vistas from the advanced runs. We also enjoyed the hospitality -- it nearly rivaled the views. (Yes, everyone was that friendly and kind.)

Many of my landscape shots are comprised of three photos -- part of the reason why I had over a thousand pictures from this trip.

This blog post is different from many of my others in that I added a few pictures that I took with my phone. Sometimes the best camera is the one you have with you. (Which is why I need to learn how to ski without falling down - so I can take my big camera with me on the slopes.)

The view from our hotel room.

One of the rugged peaks.

It looks like you are going to ski right into the lake when coming down the hill.

Sunsets were magnificent.

Good thing they close the lifts before sunset, otherwise there would be more injuries.

A divine spotlight.

The mountain trying to catch some sunlight.

The sky is on fire.

I loved the reflection on the lake.

The bright yellow of the hotel contrasted with the mountain and evening sky.


From the front of the hotel, the moon standing sentinel.

Glorious.

Not sure what this building was for, but it stood in front of the hotel.

The view from the front of the hotel.

Magnificent.

Cotton candy floating above the ruggedness.

Love those dots of color on the mountain.

For the 4th of July, the ski instructors held a torchlight parade for the Americans at the hotel.

A view of the southern hemisphere sky over the Andes.

I love it when I get sharp night images.


Lake, mountains, and stars -- breathtaking. (And cold.)

One of the beginner lifts being groomed. I wonder if the drivers even notice the stars anymore.

Here are a few pictures from my phone...

On the slope.


The girls often left me behind. This time they kindly waited for me.

Gorgeous.

At the end of a day of skiing.

Look at the reflection!

I am going to get this printed. How can I not?
Saying goodbye to Portillo.


No comments:

Post a Comment